Litochoro (Greek: Λιτόχωρο, Litóchoro) is a town and a former municipality in the southern part of the Pieria regional unit, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it has been part of the Dio-Olympos municipality, of which it is the seat and a municipal unit. It is located at the base of Mount Olympus, on the western shore of the Thermaic Gulf. The first recorded mention of Litochoro is in an account of a visit by Saint Dionysius (Greek: Άγιος Διονύσιος) to Mount Olympus in the 16th century. The town is a popular destination for those wishing to climb Mount Olympus as almost all climbing routes begin to the southwest of the town.
Places of Interest
Olympus National Park Information Center
Important information is provided there for visitors of Mount Olympus National Park. The Information Center informs their visitors about the geology, archaeological sites, mythology, monasteries, plants, animals and other subjects affecting Mount Olympus.
Located beside the highway (GR-1/E75), the Alexandreion is an impressive monument-building devoted to Alexander the Great. Visitors will get informed about his life and his military campaign.
The Nautical Museum
At Agios Nikolaou 15, on the first floor, resides the Nautical Museum of Litochoro. Rather unknown, the village has a long maritime history to tell.
The old Monastery Agios Dionysios
At an altitude of 850 m, beside the Enipeas gorge, Saint Dionysios built a monastery. Founded 1542, its name was Agia Triada, what means Holy Trinity, later changed to the name of the Saint. Plundered and burned several times in its history, it received the final blow from German troops in April 1943.
The new Monastery Agios Dionysios
After the old monastery was destroyed, the monks moved to the Metochion three kilometers outside of the village and made the place their new monastery.